Accounting and Administrative Support Staff
Part time (8-12 hours per week)
Director of Finance
Since 1899, the Boston Rescue Mission (BRM) has focused on preventing and ending homelessness and in guiding people from a place of need to a place of self-sufficiency. Located in the heart of downtown Boston, BRM serves women and men who are homeless and at risk of homelessness 365 days a year. People in crisis, including veterans, come to the Mission to receive hearty meals, safe shelter beds, and life-transforming services. Our shelter programs focus on treating the underlying causes of homelessness with individualized case management, employment, and services to guide people toward permanent housing. Our approach establishes a caring and accountable recovery environment along with job skills and related training designed to promote healthy, independent living. We are committed to helping people break their personal cycle of homelessness and over time have seen remarkable results.
The Accounting and Administrative Support Staff is responsible for supporting the Accounting department and Administrative offices through various clerical duties. They must provide timely and accurate help relevant to the daily activities of the offices, and be flexible and willing to help with a variety of tasks. They will provide support and work independently to perform daily tasks with minimum supervision.
· Record accounts payables and prepare checks and bill payments
· Process accounts receivables, ensuring that all sources of receipts are properly identified and classified.
· Deposit all receipts in bank.
· Assist with preparation of fiscal year audit.
· Provide vendor analysis and recommendations for purchasing.
· Reconcile Petty Cash
· Assist with monthly contract billing
· Perform communications and correspondence as directed by the Director of Finance; maintain confidentiality in all executive matters
· Prepare month end journal entries
· Keep files up to date and organized, including A/P, A/R, etc.
· Keep files up to date and organized, including inspections, registrations, insurance etc.
· Order office and printing supplies as needed
· Drop off & pick up mail and purchase stamps as needed
· Mail in and file Parking Tickets to be dismissed or fought
· Set up mailbox and voicemail box for new employees
Benefits Administration Responsibilities:
· Enroll and terminate employees with BRM’s health care plan and dental plan, and provide plan information to staff; keep all paperwork on file
· File timesheets; making sure they are all signed
· Keep track of employees' paid leave record and inform employees and supervisors re: accrual and use
· Record monthly credit card gifts
Human Resources Responsibilities:
· Keep job descriptions current and post job openings as directed
· Provide new hire paperwork and new employee orientation
· Be sure change of status forms are filled out for any changes in employee status
· Update Personnel Policy Manual as directed by the President
· Perform general clerical work as needed and assist with other duties as assigned
B.A. or equivalent with a progressive responsibility in accounting functions. Previous office experience and excellent typing, computer and time management skills. Organized and detail oriented with exceptional clerical skills. Working knowledge of PCs and word processing software (preferably Microsoft Word and Excel). Demonstrate responsibility in administrative functions. Should possess strong interpersonal skills, be self-motivated, and graceful in attitude and spirit. Needs to be professional in appearance and manner; present a model of loyalty and confidentiality; possess maturity; have a good memory and strong detail orientation; have a sense of love and care for the needy.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience.