Since 1899, the Boston Rescue Mission (BRM) has focused on preventing and ending homelessness and in guiding people from a place of need to a place of self-sufficiency. Located in the heart of downtown Boston, BRM serves women and men who are homeless and at risk of homelessness 365 days a year. People in crisis, including veterans, come to the Mission to receive hearty meals, safe shelter beds, and life-transforming services. Our shelter programs focus on treating the underlying causes of homelessness with individualized case management, employment, and services to guide people toward permanent housing. Our approach establishes a caring and accountable recovery environment along with job skills and related training designed to promote healthy, independent living. We are committed to helping people break their personal cycle of homelessness and over time have seen remarkable results.
Primary responsibilities include overall management responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the Mission, as follows:
· Maintain appropriate cost containment controls, insuring operating constraints of the budget.
· Shelter Operations – Manage the day-to-day operations of the shelter activities, including set-up, admission, client services, discharge, and teardown.
· Kitchen – Direct all food service operations, including food pickups, preparation and distribution, and proper storage.
· Building/Facilities/Land Management – Management of all company-owned properties, including maintenance and renovation of buildings, offices, vehicles and facilities.
· Maintenance - Oversee the activities related to the maintaining (including general housekeeping) and repairing of physical systems of land, buildings and equipment.
· Volunteers - Direct the establishment and maintenance of a well trained and managed volunteer network to provide both client direct and operational services
· Establish and maintain appropriate budgets and cost controls for performing, supervising, and administering all operational functions in a professional, cost effective and profitable manner.
· Assess inventory reports to establish acceptable variables, analyze variances and track usage on an ongoing basis.
· Monitor and investigate abnormal inventory usage for the purpose of determining the source of the discrepancy and eliminating future occurrences.
· To perform ongoing assessments of the overall quality and efficiency of Mission services and condition of the facility, including the completion of a monthly "Health & Safety Audit," initiating appropriate actions to correct deficiencies.
· Monitor the progress of established goals to insure that they are achieved
· Manage special projects.
· Create, implement and supervise adherence of appropriate policies and procedures.
· To be responsible for the overall personnel administration to include, training, safety, assignment, supervision, development and motivation, through hands on involvement and through creation, implementation and supervision of appropriate policies and procedures.
· Manage the planning of operational supervisors daily activities.
· Discuss with supervisors on a daily basis specific issues such as; coverage, maintenance requests, hot items or other reported deficiencies of service.
· Conduct periodic evaluation reviews of supervisors to determine efficacy of performance. The intention of the review is to not only recognize and build upon strengths but to identify and strengthen weaknesses.
· Assist with the recruitment and selection of employees; accurately forecasting staffing needs. Schedule and conduct interviews and confer with supervisors to determine suitability of candidates with available openings.
· Assist supervisors in maintaining, within the ranks of operational personnel, superior performance standards and high levels of moral.
· Participate with supervisors in matters regarding employee evaluations, recognition, discipline, promotion or termination. Communicate all HR issues to case management.
· Develop strategies to insure adequate training of all personnel in order to satisfy Mission and regulatory requirements.
· Provide for coverage in the event of a supervisors absence.
· All related administrative duties...
· Track employee hours and related data.
· Monitor the key box inventory.
· Maintain established protocols to ensure that Shelter Operations operate in a consistent and efficient manner.
· Direct the daily setup and tear down of the overflow shelter,
· Insure all admission and intake procedures are completed accurately and in a timely fashion.
· Assure nightly operations are completed in accordance with Mission procedures, in a safe and efficient manner. This includes the nightly rounds, shower and other housekeeping responsibilities, and food service.
· Prepare and distribute required reports to appropriate parties in a timely manner.
· Maintain an activity and emergency procedures log and take appropriate action in the event of a shelter disturbance, or emergency. Always insure the safety and well being of guests and staff. This includes the barring of guests that fail to comply with shelter rules.
· Initiate appropriate contact with case managers regarding any disciplinary issues.
· Maintain protocols to ensure that Food Service Operations are safe, efficient, and of acceptable quality.
· Maintain procedures to ensure that Mission equipment and vehicles are properly maintained and accounted for. Initiate repairs as appropriate and recommend necessary purchases and replacements as appropriate.
· Maintain a preventative maintenance log of all vehicles. Visually inspect, on a periodic basis that the interior and exterior of all vehicles conform to Mission standards of cleanliness, appearance and condition.
· Assure that all vehicles possess all regulatory documents, certifications or materials i.e., current inspection sticker, current registration, AAA card, MSDS sheets (if necessary), etc.
· Inspect, on a periodic basis, the condition of all cleaning equipment including, but not limited to: vacuum cleaners, burnishers, and extractors insuring their good working order and cleanliness.
· Inspect, on a periodic basis, the condition of all Kitchen equipment including, but not limited to: stoves, refrigerators and freezers, and trash compactors insuring their good working order and cleanliness.
· Arrange for the timely repair of any non-functioning piece of equipment, placing the order for necessary parts, providing for backup equipment and following up on the status of the repair.
· To represent the Mission in an appropriate and professional manner to guests/clients, volunteers, visitors, employees and to the general public.
· Other Duties as assigned by your supervisor.
A degree in business or related field or commensurate experience.
A working knowledge and experience in matters relating to the efficient and effective operation of a service based business or organization.
Must be competent in all areas of business management including; planning, organizing, directing, monitoring and evaluating.
Must be mechanically inclined with a working knowledge of facility maintenance operations.
Exposure to food service operations and janitorial functions.
To be especially skillful in areas of Human Resources with several years of supervisory experience, especially in low and semi-skilled labor environments.
The ability to counsel employees who seek help with personal and spiritual matters.
Experience in managing a volunteer network is a plus.
Requires a valid drivers license and the ability to work flexible hours, including weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits for full time employees include: health & dental insurance, generous paid vacation and holidays, a 401K retirement plan with generous matching contribution, and more.